Published nine times a year, Backpacker is a magazine of wilderness travel, offering practical, "you can do it, here's how" advice to help you enjoy every trip. Filled with the best places, gear, and information for all kinds of hiking and camping trips, each issue delivers foldout maps and stunning color photography.
Join the Club • Become a member of BACKPACKER Basecamp, and you’re sure to get out more.
Celebrate National Summit Day on August 3 • We’re mobilizing a nation of hikers. Join us by climbing a peak—anywhere, big or small—and be part of summer’s best celebration. Need another reason? Here are the top five.
Trail Chat • Your opinions, photos, and feats
1. Walk Through Time • Yosemite National Park, CA
2. ’Round the Mountain • After a decade of detours, the loop around Mt. Hood is complete and better than ever.
3. Little Jerusalem Badlands State Park, KS
4. Crown of the Continent • Glacier National Park, Montana You don’t need us to sell you on this park’s glacier-gouged peaks, kaleidoscopic wildflower displays, and A-list megafauna. But secret trails and tips? We got those.
5. In the Club • …IN WHICH WE HONOR THE BEST HIKING CLUBS THE COUNTRY.
6. Triple Your Fun
7. Towers of Power • Score bird’s-eye views over valleys and mountains on these four treks to summit lookouts.
8. Sweat Equity: Maintaining Trails • Use some elbow grease to give back to the you love.
9. Party on a peak
10. Go on an Epic • Pasayten Wilderness, WA
11. A Camp for Kings • Sequoia National Park, California
12. Save the East Verde River, Arizona.
13. Whispers on the Wind • Afton State Park, Minnesota
14. Life's a Beach • Fire Island National Seashore, New York
15. Flash Dance • Pair summer’s regional firefly shows with inspired tracks for best viewing.
16. River Run • Olympic National Park, Washington
17. Bone Up for Bushwhacking • It’s high season for going off-trail. Sharpen your vocab and learn what exactly is smacking you in the face and slicing your shins.
18. Signs of the Times • Some hikers grouse that blazing the CDT will ruin it—but that’s exactly the problem with doing nothing.
19. July 2: World UFO Day
Float Into Camp
Canoe Camp • Grab a paddle to access quiet coves, mirror lakes, or exhilarating rapids this summer. Best part: You can pack like you’re car camping when you trade boots for a boat.
Put Wind to Work
Berry Bliss • A day of hard paddling leads to the best backcountry surprise.
Paddle Like a Pro • Whether you want to cover long distances or navigate whitewater, master these basic strokes to get started.
Enjoy Hiking with Wet Feet • Can two hikers keep their feet happy while splashing through creeks for days?
Stop, Drop and Roll to Recovery • Use pressure-point stretching, known as myofascial release, to loosen key hiking muscles and boost recovery.
Peanut Butter Dream • This backpacking staple can do more than make sandwiches.
Tie the Knot • With some cord and a little know-how, you can rig shelters, fix broken gear, hang your food, and so much more. Master these three essential knots to get started.
Chased by a Flash Flood • For J.P. Rose, 34, and Christina Fialho, 35, an idyllic dayhike in the Caribbean in 2017 turned into a nightmare.
Up and At ‘Em
Mountain Movers • Going up? On routes that require more than just your standard hiking footwear, these boots will keep you on track.
Float Your Boat • Gear up for summer trips on all types of water.
Boil Battle • Our favorite...